FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Bill Orabone
DOWNTOWN COMMUNITY PLANNING COUNCIL HOLDS ANNUAL ELECTION
The Downtown Community Planning Council (DCPC) will hold its election for new members on March 28 & 29, 2016.
The polls will be open from noon to 8:00 PM on Monday, March 28 and from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Tuesday, March 29. Voting will take place at Horton Plaza on the 3rd Level in the NorthEast corner overlooking the new Horton Plaza Park on Broadway. There is an elevator next to CVS on the ground level for easy access. Voters are encouraged to walk or take the public transportation, but Horton Plaza does validate parking for 3 hours.
The DCPC serves as the official planning group for Downtown San Diego. The group is made up of 27 volunteers each elected for a two year term to represent Downtown homeowners and tenants, commercial property owners and businesses and community organizations. The group provides a means for public participation relating to the growth and development of Downtown and serves as a communications link to the Civic San Diego Board, the Planning Commission and City Council. DCPC meets monthly to review design proposals, conditional use permits, development and loan agreements and other downtown development policies and programs such as affordable housing, parking, transportation needs, street lighting, homelessness and social issues.
There are 15 seats up for election this year:
The following seats are uncontested (write-in candidates are allowed if they qualify):
- Cortez Business – Lindsay King
- Cortez Residential Owner – Dan Wery
- Core Business – Cameron Gharabiklou
- East Village South Resident – Robert Weichelt
- Horton-Gaslamp, Business – Cindy Blair
- Little Italy Resident – Tom Cervello
The following seats are contested:
- At Large – Jon Baker, Jon Gordon, Genny Crane, Ashley Rodriguez
- Community Organization – Monica Ball, Andy Hanshaw
- Columbia Resident – Sue Yezzi, Jolene Caughey, JD Wessling
- Marina Resident Owner/Resident (2) – Deb Herscovitz, Ann Potter
Empty seats with no candidates (qualified write-ins are allowed):
- Columbia Business
- Core Resident
- Cortez Resident
- East Village North, Residential Owner
Those interested in meeting the candidates may attend the free Candidates‘ Forum at 6:00 PM on Monday, March 28 at voting location. So come out to vote, see the new park and walk around Horton Plaza.
For more information, and to preregister to vote, go to www.dcpcsd.com/elections.